Schmittel’s Planting and Care Guide
Are you a first time gardener? Trying to fix up your yard, but you’re not sure where to start? Schmittel’s can help! Below are a few tips and tricks for newbies to the gardening game.
After purchasing your plant at your local nursery in St. Louis, the first thing you need to do is plant it in the ground or in a pot. Below is some advice for this stage in the process.
- Dig hole 4”-6” wider than the root ball, and almost as deep.
- The ball should sit flat and come about 2” above ground level.
- Back fill with soil and or compost, discard any rock or debris, mound back fill on sides, but not on top of root ball, cover root ball with 2” of mulch.
The next step is keeping them alive by making sure they get enough sunlight and water. The sunlight is harder to control, but you can assist in getting your plant the water it needs. For helpful recommendations, read on.
- Check your plants weekly! DO NOT rely on the rain to water your plants. New plants need consistency to ensure a healthy life.
- Place the hose at the base of the plant and turn on a trickle for 15-30 minutes – OR – use a bucket with a small hole placed near the base to slowly water
- Deep watering ensures root growth for a stronger plant!
- Hand watering is preferred to prevent over or under watering.
- There are three levels of moisture: dry (hard to penetrate), moist (can easily be pushed with fingers), and wet (muddy)
When moving your plants from the nursery to their new environment, they can experience some signs of stress. This is completely normal and it is nothing to be too concerned with. Below are a couple things to remember when your plant seems stressed out.
- Long spells of dry or wet weather can cause your plant to stress.
- Normal signs of stress are leaf wilt and the browning or yellowing of needles/leaves.
- Don’t worry they will recover!
Time of the Season
When you plant your vegetation, the time of the year can determine how you care for them.
Spring & Summer
- Check your plants 3x weekly!
- Move mulch back 2 inches and feel if the soil is moist. If it is, you’re good. If its not, give it a good drink.
- Shrubs can be watered for a shorter time (10-15 minutes).
Fall & Winter
- Evergreens must be watered through winter.
- Soak root ball every few weeks if we don’t have rain or snow.
- Use the bucket method if you don’t want to stay outside in the cold!
- Deciduous plants require less water since they drop their leaves.
- Water every 5 weeks if there is no rain or snow.
If you choose Schmittel’s Nursery in St. Louis for your outdoor needs, we provide a warranty for the products you purchase.
- 6 Months at 50% for shrubs and trees taken off the lot to be planted by you!
- Any trees & shrubs we plant for you includes a 1 year, 1 replacement warranty (inquire more at our front desk).
Planting is as easy as 1, 2, 3 with the help of Schmittel’s Nursery. Contact us if you have any additional questions, or stop by our nursery located at 13801 Marine Ave. Maryland Heights, MO 63043. We look forward to helping you!